I was adding this to the invitation post, but it started to take on a life of it's own. There was one detail about the invites that we wonder if people even noticed--the stamps (yes, I am a freak of nature for writing two whole posts about stamps!).
When looking at stamps for the Save the Dates and the upcoming 2012 stamps, we became excited over a few of them. Ellie immediately decided on the Cherry Blossoms--2012 is the 100th anniversary of the gift of trees from Japan, and also happen to be one of my favorite flowers. I pushed back because we're in Boston and DC isn't important to us our our relationship at all and I wasn't sold on the idea off having these landmarks all over my wedding invitations. I wanted the Bonsai Trees or the Year of the Dragon stamps. Ellie wouldn't hear of it because we could match the postcards to the invitations! I still balked because that was an extra $0.13 per postcard and I am a cheapskate. Ellie had a point when she said that Aloha Shirts (the only postcard stamps in existence) were not going on our RSVPs. The postcards are too small to add multiple stamps to make up the difference between the former postcard stamps and the current cost.
You wouldn't think stamping envelopes and postcards would be an ordeal would you? Well, it totally was. See, we had three dilemmas in front of us:
When looking at stamps for the Save the Dates and the upcoming 2012 stamps, we became excited over a few of them. Ellie immediately decided on the Cherry Blossoms--2012 is the 100th anniversary of the gift of trees from Japan, and also happen to be one of my favorite flowers. I pushed back because we're in Boston and DC isn't important to us our our relationship at all and I wasn't sold on the idea off having these landmarks all over my wedding invitations. I wanted the Bonsai Trees or the Year of the Dragon stamps. Ellie wouldn't hear of it because we could match the postcards to the invitations! I still balked because that was an extra $0.13 per postcard and I am a cheapskate. Ellie had a point when she said that Aloha Shirts (the only postcard stamps in existence) were not going on our RSVPs. The postcards are too small to add multiple stamps to make up the difference between the former postcard stamps and the current cost.
You wouldn't think stamping envelopes and postcards would be an ordeal would you? Well, it totally was. See, we had three dilemmas in front of us:
- we needed to make sure that all the cards got one and the envelopes got the other
- we had to keep everything in a particular order so the cards and envelopes matched up
- we have one international invitation and one not being mailed
This necessitated us double-checking that all the envelopes were in the same order as my initial spreadsheet, which was loosely based on last name and family. We set up an assembly line of sorts to work it all out: address and return address the envelopes; number the cards; put the cards into the invitations; organize and RE-organize the envelopes, using sticky flags to mark the special (read: different postage, address errors) invites.
Wax seals had to wait until the next day when we 1) had time 2) made our corrections.
No comments:
Post a Comment