We've relayed this story a couple of time, but the other day on the Offbeat Bride Forum, I gave a brief recap of how Ellie and I almost broke up just before she proposed, and I asked if I could put the story up for all to see and laugh at. Being the wonderful fiancée that she is, she said yes.
In the months leading up to the proposal, things got...antsy...in the Jelli (my shorthand for Jessi and Ellie) household. I was all stressed out with finishing my semester, then planning for my Study Abroad trip and Ellie was pulling extra shifts as her part-time job. She was irritable, and I was totally convinced I'd done something gravely wrong, so my anxiety went up even more than it already was. I started walking on eggshells. Then, money started becoming tighter than normal. Granted, her part-time job was forgetting to pay her, and once or twice her mileage pay didn't come through on time, but it was still...suspicious for lack of a better word.
Now, this may come as a surprise to many of you, but we are FAR from rich. Hell, with me being in school, we're literally living paycheck to paycheck many weeks. When money becomes tighter, the stress goes up even more, especially for me. Yet, I was already walking on eggshells, convinced I was doing SOMETHING wrong, so asking what was happening to all her money was the last thing I wanted to do. I did bring it up a few times; maybe she had some unexpected expense she forgot to mention, or was sending more money to a creditor each month. There was nothing I didn't already know, and the numbers just didn't add up, even for mathematically-challenged me. This went on for months, and I was kind of looking forward to England because I thought it might be good for us to be out of each others' hair for a couple weeks.
We all know the outcome of this story: just before I left for England, we took a trip to Castle in the Clouds and Ellie proposed. It didn't take long for me to make the connection that THIS was why money had been tight lately and she had been so irritable. Needless to say, I was relieved, but it still amazes me that we were on the road to ruin all because Ellie wanted to propose to me.
In the months leading up to the proposal, things got...antsy...in the Jelli (my shorthand for Jessi and Ellie) household. I was all stressed out with finishing my semester, then planning for my Study Abroad trip and Ellie was pulling extra shifts as her part-time job. She was irritable, and I was totally convinced I'd done something gravely wrong, so my anxiety went up even more than it already was. I started walking on eggshells. Then, money started becoming tighter than normal. Granted, her part-time job was forgetting to pay her, and once or twice her mileage pay didn't come through on time, but it was still...suspicious for lack of a better word.
Now, this may come as a surprise to many of you, but we are FAR from rich. Hell, with me being in school, we're literally living paycheck to paycheck many weeks. When money becomes tighter, the stress goes up even more, especially for me. Yet, I was already walking on eggshells, convinced I was doing SOMETHING wrong, so asking what was happening to all her money was the last thing I wanted to do. I did bring it up a few times; maybe she had some unexpected expense she forgot to mention, or was sending more money to a creditor each month. There was nothing I didn't already know, and the numbers just didn't add up, even for mathematically-challenged me. This went on for months, and I was kind of looking forward to England because I thought it might be good for us to be out of each others' hair for a couple weeks.
We all know the outcome of this story: just before I left for England, we took a trip to Castle in the Clouds and Ellie proposed. It didn't take long for me to make the connection that THIS was why money had been tight lately and she had been so irritable. Needless to say, I was relieved, but it still amazes me that we were on the road to ruin all because Ellie wanted to propose to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment